By Age: Pregnant Women
Poison Prevention Tips
- Install a carbon monoxide alarm in every sleeping area of your home. Keep appliances, furnaces, fireplaces and wood-burning stoves in good repair. Carbon monoxide poisoning is especially dangerous for the fetus.
- Take ONLY medicines approved by your health care provider. Whether prescriptions, over-the-counter medicines, herbals or botanicals, or supplements, ask first!
- Discuss with your health care provider whether you should be screened for lead poisoning.
- If your home requires renovations, learn beforehand if there is lead in the paint or plaster.
- Avoid antique cribs and toys that may contain lead (or otherwise fail to meet current safety standards).
- Discuss food safety with your health provider:
- Avoid fish with high levels of mercury.
- Avoid soft cheeses and deli meats that could be contaminated with Listeria.